Sunday 1 July 2007

Drumroll please

As promised I am now starting my weekly Great Blog award. Over time I will think of a snappy title and no doubt figure out some fancy graphics too. But right now its just a homespun affair.

Now, before the big announcement (yes, I can see you perched on the edge of your computer chair), the rules. Actually, there are no rules. It's my award based purely on my own opinions and taste in what constitutes a good blog. But there are a few notes, namely:

  1. The award will be presented in random order. Although I am deeply fond of today's winner, it is being named first due to a random process - picture me with a hat and little itty bitty pieces of paper and you'll get the idea. Wait, there's no picture of me on this site so you can't picture me. Okay, so just picture an arbitary brunette with a hat... you get the idea...
  2. This is a no strings attached affair. Winners are not required to nominate other bloggers (although, clearly, sharing the love if you so desire is fine), read my blog in return or even thank me if they do not wish to do so.
Right. That about covers it.

So the winner for today is.................

Stay at Home Dad

He lives in London, raises his daughter and writes about his experience of being a parent. What I love about this blog is the style in which it is written. SAHD provides his readers with accutely observed glimpses into his life with his daughter. He marvels in the minutia that so often slip me by. Everytime I visit his blog I am reminded of something that I fear I may have forgotten were it not for this voice drawing it to my attention. Bliss.

And the London housewives are giving him a spot of bother at the minute. Cheer up Stay at Home Dad. I think you're terrific.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to SAHD! A great choice and I too, love reading his blogs. Will you believe me if I told you I was thinking about him today whilst driving home from the Co-op? I haven't a clue why he came into my head, I don't know him personally, never seen him but enjoy reading about his life with his lovely little girl.

Crystal xx

lady macleod said...

Most excellent choice! I too love his writing. I picture him as a Hugh Grant type but smarter you know?

Well done my African friend. You do need a title.. the African on the move Award? the Expat's Acknowledgement Award? The Hot Woman gives you a nod Award? the I'll do anything to warm up a bit and reading your blog helps Award? ...

The Good Woman said...

Crystal, there are those I may not believe. But you - I believe.

Lady M - how did you know my pc desk is next to a radiator?

Annie said...

Love Lady M's suggestions ha ha!

Good choice for your award.

Kim said...

I love to read his blog, too. The description and detail in his blog are wonderful. His stories almost always remind me of some forgotten little moment with my daughter at that age. Nicely done!

The Good Woman said...

Thanks Annie.

And Kaycie - I agree completely.

Stay at home dad said...

I'm here!

How embarrassing, but also how lovely, how kind. I never thought I'd win a Hot Woman's Nod.

I'd like to thank... you, very much. And everyone else. Sniff.

Hugh Grant? Co-op? Sounds very Nick Hornby...

The Good Woman said...

Hi there Stay at Home Dad.

Sorry for embarrassing you! Just thought you might like to know you're appraciated by someone other than your wife and daughter.

Personally, you don't remind me of Hugh Grant, but that's because I can't picture you writing about Divine Brownesque incidents. Also, I picture you as hairier - in fairness that's how you describe yourself...

Stay at home dad said...

It's nicely embarrassing, TGW, and you are living up to your name. Thank you again..

Daniele said...

Congratulations SAHD - I completely agree about his blog, I love it, it's so beautifully written!

TGW - I shall be visiting Scotland in about a month. I have been to Edinburgh and Glasgow already, so not going there, more countryside this time. Any top tips, or must see's on your list ? Keeping in mind that I only have a week :(

Keep up the good work :)

Elsie Button said...

yes well done SAHD - i too love the blog! lovely idea TGW.

Motheratlarge said...

Nice one, Good Woman! I'm a SAHD fan, too, and like you I felt for him with the horrible, snooty mums on the nursery trip. His postings make me pause and take stock of precious, everyday incidents I might otherwise forget to appreciate.

The Good Woman said...

Ah, Stay at Home Dad - the halo is freshly polished!

And Elsie and Mother at Large - I'm glad you agree.

The Good Woman said...

Dee
If you're not wanting to spend too much time driving I would recommend Loch Lomond or a trip to Perthshire. We find Tarbet and attractive base from which to explore the loch. And Pitlochry is a good base in Perthshire. Both areas are stunningly beautiful and offer a lot in the way of outdoorsy pursuits.

Skye is magnificent but quite a long drive. Or you could cheat and go to Arran which is considered 'Scotland in miniature' because of its diverse landscapes. And it's easy to reach from Glasgow.

This is based on my (limited) experience. Any Scots out there with better advice, feel free to comment.

Daniele said...

Hi Good Woman, and thanks for the advice. I don't mind driving. I've already seen Loch Lomond (briefly) and will go back again. I also want to see Skye. Will look up the other things you mentioned. Thanks much.

Drunk Mummy said...

Nice idea Good Woman - and SAHD is a very well-deserved winner.
I think the 'Hot Woman's Nod' is a very snappy title! I imagine it would increase the traffic to the recipient's site too. Can't imagine what you would use as a logo!

Stay at home dad said...

Yes, where is my logo? I'd do one myself, only I can't...

The Good Woman said...

Hi Drunk Mummy. i am oddly flattered by all this talk of a 'hot' woman. Alas, as I tell Bambi, lying will cause one's tongue to turn blue...

...which could make for an interesting logo SAHD!